Capri, Laundry, and Fresh Fruit

Posted by on January 20, 2014

This week in Sorrento has been a whirlwind of beautiful sights and fun nights.  Between classes, my internship, delicious dinners, and late-night gelato runs I’ve barely had time to breathe, let alone sleep.  This weekend I had the opportunity to go and explore Capri with a large group of the other students here.  After a late night seeing our Professor Marco Spiezia play at the Wine Bar, we met up at 7:45 to take the ferry over to the island.  Despite the early morning and the 4.5 mile hike (and partially thanks to some espressos) we were treated to truly breathtaking views.  Do yourself a favor: if you only ever take one vacation in your lifetime, go and see Capri.  Everyone was taken aback by how unbelievable the water was.  In the photos, it looks as though we’ve photoshopped a postcard onto a green screen.

L'isole di Capri e molto bella!

L’isole di Capri e molto bella!

At first, all of us were trying to capture as many pictures as possible to posses the unbelievable sights surrounding us, but slowly we all came to the conclusion that it was negatively impacting our appreciation of the reality of the island, and the cameras slowly were put down as we separated into corners of quiet reflection.  It only really hit me how amazing this experience has already been and will continue to be as I looked out at the hazy, almost nonexistent division between sky and sea.  It already feels like a dream, but I know that I am infinitely lucky to have experienced Capri, and that I have the opportunity to return before I leave.

Le mie Amiche Melissa e Haley con me a Capri!

On another note, I continue to be faced with new experiences that differ greatly from what I have become accustomed to in America.  Doing my laundry this weekend was far easier than I expected…that is, until I went to dry it.  There are very few clothes dryers in Italy, and we are expected to dry our clothes on a rack in the open air.  This is not necessarily problematic; on Sunday, when I did my laundry and put it outside it was overcast, but breezy, and I assumed they’d be dry by Monday morning.  Then it rained.  And rained.  And poured.  And then rained some more.  My clothes are still outside, sopping wet, because bringing them inside would create an enormous puddle in my tiny shared bedroom.  I was understandably frustrated by this, but after a good evening and a great gelato with my new friends, I’ve decided to pay to dry my clothes at a laundromat down the street tomorrow (it’s supposed to rain for the rest of the week) and chalk it up as a learning experience.  Next time, I’ll check the weather BEFORE I do my laundry.

I’ve finally found the fresh market and bought a bunch of fruit and vegetables fro 2.50 euro, which is far cheaper than the local supermercato.  The oranges are enormous and so delicious that I don’t think I’ll ever want to eat another orange in America again.  In other food related news, I can now drink straight espressos, so all in all I’d say I’m assimilating to the Italian lifestyle pretty well.

Un cappuccino al bar a Capri!

Un cappuccino al bar a Capri!

I’m planning a trip to Rome in the near future, so my next blog post will probably have to wait until after that, so for now I’ll leave you with this, a line from a popular Italian song that I feel describes my first week in Sorrento:

“Un bellissima spreco di tempo/Un’impresa impossibile/l’invenzione di un sogno/una vita in un giorno”

-“Baciami Anocora” da Jovanotti

“A beautiful waste of time, an impossible task, the invention of a dream, a life in a day.”

6 Responses to Capri, Laundry, and Fresh Fruit

1. csmccarry

Professor Seay was my intro creative writing poetry professor at UMW! Though I’m at the beginning of my journey, I’m already beginning to see myself grow, as you’ll see in my next post about Rome!

2. Elizabeth Wade

Just heard Allison Seay (poet & UMW alum) read, & at the reading she mentioned her summer in Italy. She said, “I’ve come to think of my life before Italy & my life after it. It was that significant.” Hope the same is true for you!

3. csmccarry

Hi! Thanks for reading about my travels 🙂 It’s a challenging thing to do–to let the moment exist instead of trying to save it–but so essential to truly enjoying the experience!

4. Kim Vera

Caroline, you don’t know me, but I knew your mother/family from Montresor. Great post. I remember having the same revelation about cameras when I was on a small boat off the coast of Chile, seeing dolphins all around. I put down the camera and truly enjoyed the moment. It’s nice to see someone else enjoy the moment.

5. csmccarry

Grazie 🙂

6. Nan McCarry

Wonderful post, Caroline.